What Questions Should You Ask Your Roofer? We Have Some Answers
As a real estate professional, inspecting a property’s roof is important. In regards to your real estate project, you’ll need to know if the condition of a home’s roof and whether it needs to be repaired or replaced. When working with a roofing professional there are certain questions to ask roofing contractors that will help you assess the work involved in repairing or replacing a roof.
Don’t let your real estate project flop due to a roofing issue. It’s best to hire an experienced roofing contractor that can repair or replace a roof for a property’s long-term.
Signs That Your Roof Should Be Replaced
The main purpose of the roof is to prevent the house from the weather, and the most common reason for a roof replacement or repair. How do you know when it’s time to call a roofing contractor? Here are some sure signs for you to know:
- 10+-Year-Old Roofs
- Missing/broken shingles
- Shingles that curl upwards at the end
- Faded or discolored shingles
- The ceiling has water stains
- Daylight shows through indoors
Questions to Ask A Roofing Contractor Before Hiring
To find the roofing contractor for your real estate project, you’ll want to be sure to qualify your choices of roofing contractors. Asking the following questions will help you find the best fit and hire the right roofing contractor for the project:
- How long have you done work in the area?
- Who specifically we do the work on your team? Do you use subcontractors?
- Are you insured?
- Do you have a roofing contractor license?
- Do you offer a warranty for your roofing work?
- Do you have references?
- What is your estimate for the project?
Common Roofing Questions for Your Project
When it comes to roofing, there are a few things you will need to know about roofing for your real estate project.
Which Material is Best for My Roofing Project?
There are many things to consider when picking a roofing material for your real estate project. Here are a few considerations from Christine Bowen, from Austin Roofing & Construction on how to determine roofing material and how to know when you need roofing repair versus a full replacement.
What is the Best Material for Sloped-Steep Roofs?
- Metal is the best product on the market in my opinion. It can withstand high winds, heavy rains, extreme temperature swings and will last on average 50+ years.
- In dryer climates clay tile roofing is ideal. It will last 50+ years but does not hold up so well in wetter climates. It can withstand high winds and temperature swings.
- Architectural shingles will be the most cost-effective over time. They will last on average in our area for 18-25 years. These too can withstand the high winds and heavy rains but tend to suffer from temperature swings.
- The color will fade on all roofing products but does tend to fade evenly so as not to adversely affect the appearance of the finish.
What is the Best Material for Flat Roofs
- TPO/PVC are very popular single ply options and will hold up in any climate. They are also typically accompanied with the No Dollar Limit warranties which are very enticing to building owners. These two products also work well when there is ponding water in places.
- Asphalt based roofing membranes such as modified bitumen are used in areas where there will be a lot of foot traffic from service technicians. It holds up better when the surface gets minimal punctures. This product does not hold up well in ponding water.
Roof replacement vs. a roof repair: which one makes sense for my property?
The best way to make the determination between a roof replacement versus a roof repair is to have a roofing professional assess your roof and provide his/her feedback. If the roof only has 2-3 years left and the repairs are extensive, it is likely going to be more cost-effective to replace a roof. If the roof is newer and the installation was done properly, then a repair would be sufficient. If you can see the fiberglass showing through your shingles from the ground, it is definitely time for a new roof.
The Installation Process for Repairs and Replacements:
- Roof Replacements: The installation process is messy and loud for a roof replacement. The good news, it can typically be completed in 1-2 days for residential roofs.
- Roof Repairs: The roof repair process is fairly simple. They are usually done within a few hours of the day and are minimally invasive.
Don’t’ Let Your Roof Hold Your Project Back
Don’t’ let your roof hold your project back. Be sure to address any roofing issues with your property as soon as you can. Working with a trusted and professional roofing contractor will help you repair your roof.
EquityDoor is an online real estate crowdfunding platform. Our goal is to connect investors and real estate professionals to fund projects. Learn more about our real estate investing platform and how to raise capital for real estate projects, or continue browsing for more real estate investing education.